138 Main St PO Box 1
Village of Candor Meeting Times
Village Meetings: 1st Tuesday of the month @ 6:30
The Village of Candor consists of .44 square miles within the Town and
has a population of 855 according to the 2000 Census. The annual Fourth
of July parade is one of Candor's biggest events. The Candor Central
School is located in the heart of the Village offering a first-class
education to area students.
At one time, the Ithaca and Owego Railroad ran
through Candor, later becoming the Delaware,
Lackawanna and Western, and was one of the first
railroads in the country (1834). It stopped
operation in 1956.
Glove, blanket, and shoe factories, flour mills,
and brick yards were in operation through the
early part of the 20th century. The Catatonk
Creek running through the village provided
sufficient water energy to run the many
businesses between the Upper and Lower Mill
Ponds. Throughout the town’s smaller
communities, additional waterways provided
enough energy for creameries, mills, and
factories to function.
But with the centralization of schools in 1936,
the dawning of automobiles and buses, and the
shift in lifestyles, Candor Village became the
hub of activity. Citizens were able to go
farther afield, faster, and the smaller
communities couldn’t keep up with the times.
Today, many of these little hamlets in Candor
are remembered by road or street names.
Businesses have changed with the times. To keep
pace, Candor’s families have turned from
subsistence farming to large dairy operations,
specialty and/or organic farming, and local
tourism opportunities. Candor maintains a rural
atmosphere, as well as a cosmopolitan one.